Sunday, May 12, 2013

Ryann's new door plaque

While pregnant with Ryann, I made things to hang in her room or to sit on the dresser, etc. A lot of the things that I made had a princess theme, which I was so in love with because we were having a GIRL! As she has gotten older, I am starting to think about child rearing more and more (obviously). The media has helped me (or hurt me, not sure which, yet) in that I see how women are perceived, how celebrities get berated for being "overweight" and how much pressure is put on appearance, etc. This bothers me on so many levels! While I have always said that Ryann is OUR princess, I certainly don't want to put the pressure on her to BE a princess! I started thinking about this a few weeks ago and have totally stripped her room of anything that says 'princess' on it. I want her to grow up to be independent with self-confidence and a sense of self worth. Does this make a difference right now with her being only 2 years old?! I have no idea. Though I don't know that I want to take the chance and find out. She now has a canvas print that says "Always remember that you are loved" and a print by Emily McDowell that is a quotation by Eleanor Roosevelt that says "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". The door plaque that used to be on her door said "Princess Ryann". I painted this plaque from Michael's and used chipboard glitter letters (they already had adhesive on them but I painted wood glue on the back of them to make sure they'd stay on). I found this little owl a while back and bought it because I thought it was cute. The paint job on it was rough. I repainted this one to match the color scheme of her room.

No comments:

Post a Comment